ST. ENODER is a parish 2½ miles south-south-west from St. Columb Road station on the Newquay branch and 5 north from Grampound Road station on the Great Western railway, 10 north-by-east from Truro and 5 south-south-west from St. Columb: the parish is in the Mid division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Pydar and Powder, union and county court district of St. Columb, rural deanery of Pydar, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The river Gannel rises in this parish, which also affords the chief source of the river Fal. The church of St. Enoder is an ancient building of granite in the Early Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel with aisles, nave of four bays, aisles, north transept, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells: the tower was partly rebuilt in 1686: there is a Norman font and a few good bench ends: there are monuments to Dorothy (Arundell), wife of Anthony Tanner, gent. ob. 1634; to Anthony Tanner, ob. 1742, erected by George Penwarne; to John Freseyse, yeoman, 16-6, and a number of modern date: at the east end is a memorial window erected by the parishioners, to the Rev. Samuel M. Walker, rector from 1828: a new organ was provided in 1896 at a cost of £250, in memory of the Rev. Jefferys Wilkins Murray M.A. rector from 1874-83: the church was thoroughly restored in 1870, the interior refitted and three new windows added, at a cost of £850: there are sittings for 600 persons. The register dates from the year 1571. The living is a rectory, net income £330, including 20 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Truro, and held since 1892 by the Rev. William Horsburgh M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin: the living is endowed with the great tithes of three fields only: the impropriate tithes amount to £463 yearly. There are United Methodist chapels at Summercourt and Fraddon, and a Wesleyan chapel at Summercourt. In the parish are china clay works and a tin mine. Carvinick House, in this parish, built by Anthony and Grace Tanner, in 1699, is now occupied as a farmhouse. The principal landowners in the parish are Viscount Falmouth, Lieut.-Col. E. Gully Bennet J.P. Henry Harcourt Williams esq. J.P. and Mrs. Trevor Carus-Wilson. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and spar. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, mangolds and potatoes. The area is 7,269 acres of land, partly arable, pasture and meadow, and the remaining portion an open waste and 6 of water; rateable value, £9,901; the population in 1914 was 1,412.

Post, M.O., T. & T. E. D. Office, Fraddon (letters should have Cornwall added). -

George Hore, sub-postmaster. Letters from St. Columb Road, Cornwall

Police Station, John Henry Dann, constable

Public Elementary School (mixed), established in 1828, & since enlarged, for 194 children; G. D. Box A.C.P. Lond. master

The school is controlled by the St. Columb District Education Committee, W. Crapp, St. Columb, clerk

MITCHELL, or St. Mitchell, formerly an ancient Parliamentary borough, partly in this parish and partly in the parish of Newlyn, is on the high road from Truro to St. Columb, 2½ miles south-west from the parish church, 2 south-east from Newlyn and 7 north-north-east from Truro: it is said to have been a town of considerable importance in the time of the Saxons, but has now dwindled down to a small village: the borough returned two members to Parliament from the 6th year of Edward VI. (1552), until it was disfranchised by the Reform Act of 1832. It was never incorporated, but was governed by a portreeve, annually elected by a jury at the court leet of the high lord. Among the parliamentary representatives of this borough may be named Richard Carew, the Cornish historian, Sir Walter Raleigh and Colonel Clive. The manor of Mitchell was, in the time of Edward I. the property of Walter de Raleigh, whose son Peter sold it to Ralph de Arundell. John de Arundell, in the year 1301, certified his right to a market or fair on his manor called “Modeshole” which appears to have been allowed in the same manner as it had been previously granted to his predecessor, Walter de Raleigh. The market has been long discontinued, but an annual fair is held on the 15th of October for cattle and sheep.

Post Office, Mitchell. -

Charles Henry Hawk, sub-postmaster. Letters from Grampound Road, Cornwall. Summercourt, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1909, for 40 children up to the age of 9; Miss West, mistress

This school is controlled by the St. Columb District Education Committee; W. Crapp. St. Columb, clerk

SUMMERCOURT, a hamlet about three-quarters of a mile south from the church at St. Enoder, is intersected by the road from Truro to St. Colomb. It has an annual fair, held on the 25th of September, for cattle and horses.

Post, M.O., T. & T.E.D. Office, Summercourt. -

Mrs. Madeline Tamblyn, sub-postmistress. Letters from Grampound Road, Cornwall

Conveyance. -

Crowle's omnibus, from Fraddon to Summercourt & Truro, on wed. & sat. at 9 a.m.; to St. Columb, from Summercourt, on thurs. leaving Fraddon at 4.30 p.m. returning from St. Columb at 8.30 p.m. & on fri. to St. Austell, from Fraddon at 12.30 p.m. via St. Columb & 1.10 p.m. via Treviscoe



Langdon James, Blue Anchor inn


Bice Misses, Pengelly

+Liddicoat Harry, frmr, Burthy Row

Bullock John, cycle dealer

Box George Dennis A.C.P. School ho

Liddicoat Tom, farmer, Benallack

Clarke Thomas, farmer

Horsburgh Rev. William M.A. (rector, & hon. canon of St. Teilo in Truro Cathedral). Rectory

Lutey Francis, farmer, Trenithan

Crowle Harry, farmer, carrier & motor coach proprietor

+Matthews John, farmer, Nankervis

Halls Albert, boot repairer


Merrifield Percy, farmer, Gunnabarren

Hawkey Harris, motor garage

Marked thus + farm 150 acres or over.

Minear Archibald, farmer, Retew

Hawkey John, mason

Anchor China Syndicate Ltd. (John Nicholls, resident agent)

Minear Ernest, farmer, Retew

Hocking Arthur John, assistant overseer, clerk to the Parish Council & collector of taxes

Arthur William, farmer, Ennis

Nancarrow Lerrin, farmer, Nanpean

Hore R.B. & Sons, drapers

Bassett Christr. blacksmith Brighton

Osborne Asa, farmer, Resurrance

Tippett James, farmer

Bettison Hy. farmer, Penrose Sophia

Osborne Wm. Hy. farmer, Boswollow


Boundy Alfred, farmer, Melangoose

Parnell Crossman, farmer, Troan


Boundy James, farmer, Melador

Penna Edgar, farmr. Higher Penscawn

Dunstan Mary (Mrs.), farmer

Brewer Thomas Petherwick, farmer, Chytane

+Phillips Albert, farmer, Pencorse

Ferris Gordon, carpenter

Bullock George, farmer, Barton

Rabey Herbert, farmer, Nanpean

Hawke Frederick, farmer

Bullock James, farmer, Melador

Reed Charles, farmer, Resparva

Hawke William, mason

+Bullock Jasper, farmer, Trewhela

+Richards George, farmer, Retyn

May Frederick, blacksmith

Burthy China Clay & Brick Co

+Richards Regnld, frmr. Goonhoskyn

Morcomb Grace Anne (Miss), shpkpr

Chapman John, farmer, Hendra

Rose Simeon, farmer, Rosewin

+Chapman Robert Hy. farmer, Glebe

Rose Thos. Jas. frmr. Lower Penscawn


Chegwidden Chas. Frmr. Resparva gte

Rowe Edwin, farmer, Brighton

Common Richard, farmer, Trefullock

Solomon Jas. farmer, Little Penhale

Flanank Richard Henry, Beacon ho

Cornwall Constabulary (John Henry Dann, constable)

Spear John, farmer, Tresawna

Grigg John

+Drew James, yeoman & farmer, Carvynick

Spear Warwick, miller (water), Arrallas mill

Thomas Miss

+Dungey George, farmer, Nantillow

+Tremain William & Richd. farmers, Burthy

Fraddon China Clay Co. Limited

Trewheela China Clay Co. Limited (F.W. Truscott, sec)


Goudge Eric, farmer, Troan

+Ward Albert, farmer, Goonrounsen

Gregor Charles, farmer, Halvenna

Wheal Benallack China Clay Co. Ltd. (J. Goldsworthy, manager)

Bassett William John, farmer

Halls Fred, farmer, Penrose Vilda

Wheal Remfrey China Clay & Brick Co. (R. Hooper, resident manager)

Burt John, mason

Harding Sidney, farmer, Trevisa

Wheal Retallick China Clay Co. Ltd

Currah Annie (Miss), shopkeeper

+Hawkey Henry, farmer, Trevossa

Woodley Maurice, farmer, Polmenna

Currah Henry, shoe maker

+Hawkey Maurice, farmer, Trewinion

Yelland Arthr. Blcksmth. Blue Anchor

Martin William James, London inn

Hocking Edward, cowkeeper, Retew

Yelland Geo. carpenter, Blue Anchor

Nancarrow Herbert, grocer

+Jelbert John, farmer, Arralles

Rundle Sleeman, blacksmith

+Jolly Wm. Hy. fgrmer, Penhale


Stribley William Alfred Martin, motor cycle & cycle agent; car for hire


Truscott Samuel, cycle dealer

Hore George, Glengarry

Williams John & Joseph, carpenter

Hore Lewis

Kessell Edward, Barton house

Osborne Rev. James, Madison

Reeves Rev. Frank Arthur (United Methodist), The Manse


Back to Main Page
Last Updated on 3rd December 2017
By Mark Jose

Valid HTML 4.0 Transitional