ST. ENODER is a parish 2½ miles south-south-west from St. Columb Road station on the Newquay branch and 5 north from Grampound Road station on the Great Western railway, 10 north-by-east from Truro and 5 south-south-west from St. Columb: the parish is in the Mid division of the county, and in the hundred and petty sessional division of Pydar, union and county court district of St. Columb, rural deanery of Pydar, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The river Gannel rises in this parish, which also affords the chief source of the river Fal. The church of St. Enoder is an ancient building of granite in the Early Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel with aisles, nave of four bays, aisles, north transept, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells: the tower was partly rebuilt in 1686: there is a Norman font and some good bench ends: there are monuments to Dorothy (Arundell), wife of Anthony Tanner, gent. ob. 1634; to Anthony Tanner, ob. 1742, erected by George Penwarne; to John Freseyse, yeoman, 16-6, and a number of modern date: at the east end is a memorial window erected by the parishioners, to the Rev. Samuel M. Walker, rector from 1828: a new organ was provided in 1896 at a cost of £250, in memory of the Rev. Jefferys Wilkins Murray M.A. rector from 1874-83: the church was thoroughly restored in 1870, the interior refitted and three new windows added, at a cost of £850: there are sittings for 600 persons. The register dates from the year 1571. The living is a rectory, net income £224, including 20 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Truro, and held since 1892 by the Rev. William Horsburgh M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin: the living is endowed with the great tithes of three fields only: the impropriate tithes amount to £463 yearly. There are United Methodist chapels at Summercourt and Fraddon, and a Wesleyan chapel at Summercourt. In the parish are china clay works and a tin mine. Carvinick House, in this parish, built by Anthony and Grace Tanner, in 1699, is now occupied as a farmhouse. Mrs. Elsie Clement Fitzherbert and Mrs. Charle Helen Cater are ladies of the manor of Penhale. The principal landowners in the parish are Maj.-Gen. Viscount Falmouth K.C.V.O., C.B., George Horace Johnstone esq. of Trewithen, Probus; the trustees of the late Richard Gully Bennet esq. (d. 1910) , St. Columb Minor; Henry Harcourt Williams esq. of Pencalenick, St. Clement's; John C. S. Rashleigh esq. M.D. of Menabilly, Tywardreath, and A.C.P. Willyams esq. of Tolcarne House, Mawgan The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and spar. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, mangolds and potatoes. The area is 7,269 acres of land, partly arable, pasture and meadow, and the remaining portion an open waste and 6 of water; rateable value, £11,386; the population in 1914 was 1,412.

Post, M.O. & T. Office, Fraddon (letters should have Cornwall added). -

Richard Best Hore, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Grampound Road, Cornwall, at 6.45 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m.; no delivery on sundays

Wall Letter Box, Penhale, cleared Oct. to June, 4.40 p.m. & Julyto Sept. 4.30 p.m

Police Station, Wallace Hart Dunstan, constable

Public Elementary School (mixed), established in 1828, & since enlarged, for 194 children; average attendance, 157; G. D. Box A.C.P.Lond. master

The school is controlled by the St. Austell & St. Columb District Education Committee, G. P. Bunt, St. Austell, clerk

MITCHELL, or St. Mitchell, formerly an ancient Parliamentary borough, partly in this parish and partly in the parish of Newlyn, is on the high road from Truro to St. Columb, 2½ miles south-west from the parish church, 2 south-east from Newlyn and 7 north-north-east from Truro: it is said to have been a town of considerable importance in the time of the Saxons, but has now dwindled down to a small village: the borough returned two members to Parliament from the 6th year of Edward VI. (1552), until it was disfranchised by the Reform Act of 1832. It was never incorporated, but was governed by a portreeve, annually elected by a jury at the court leet of the high lord. Among the parliamentary representatives of this borough may be named Richard Carew, the Cornish historian, Sir Walter Raleigh and Colonel Clive. The manor of Mitchell was, in the time of Edward I. the property of Walter de Raleigh, whose son Peter sold it to Ralph de Arundell. John de Arundell, in the year 1301, certified his right to a market or fair on his manor called “Modeshole” which appears to have been allowed in the same manner as it had been previously granted to his predecessor, Walter de Raleigh. The market has been long discontinued, but an annual fair is held on the 15th of October for cattle and sheep.

Post Office, Mitchell. -

Charles Henry Hawk, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Grampound Road, Cornwall, at 7.45 a.m.; dispatched at 5.10 p.m.; no delivery on sundays. Summercourt, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1909, for 40 children up to the age of 9; average attendance, 22; Miss Kate Male, mistress

This school is controlled by the St. Austell & St. Columb District Education Committee; G. P. Bunt, St. Austell, sec

SUMMERCOURT, a hamlet about three-quarters of a mile south from the church at St. Enoder, is intersected by the road from Truro to St. Colomb. It has an annual fair, held on the 25th of September, for cattle and horses.

Post, M.O. & T. Office, Summercourt. -

Mrs. Magdalene Tamblyn, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Grampound Road at 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched, 5.25 p.m.; no delivery on sundays

Tippett's 'bus from Fraddon to Truro, Summercourt, on wed. & sat. at 9 a.m. & to St. Columb from Summercourt on thurs. leaving Fraddon at 12 noon & to St. Austell, fri



Liddicoat Harry, farmer, Burthy Row


Bice Misses, Glebe

Liddicoat Tom, farmer, Benallack

Box George Dennis A.C.P. School ho

Minear Arthur, farmer, Retew

Dunstan Mary (Mrs.), farmer

Grigg William, Nankervis

Minear Edred, farmer, Melangoose

Hawke William, mason

Horsburgh Rev. William M.A. (rector). Rectory

Nancarrow Lerrin, farmer, Nanpean

Morcomb Anne (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Osborne Wm. Hy. farmer, Boswollow

Philp Daniel, blacksmith


Penna Edgar, farmr. Higher Penscawn

Toms Sydney Fras. Plume Feather inn

Anchor China Clay Syndicate (John Nicholls, resident agent)

Penna Edward, farmer, Trevisa

Andrew Percy, farmer, Trefullock

Richards George, farmer, Goonhoskyn


Arthur William, farmer, Ennis

Richards John Henry, farmer, Retyn

Bassett Richard, cowkeeper, Brighton

Richards Reginald, farmer, Chytane

Bassett William John, farmer

Bettison Hy. farmer, Penrose Sophia

Rose Joseph, farmer, Nantillow

Brenton James, watch maker

Blight George, farmer, Troan

Rose Simeon, farmer, Rosewin

Currah Henry, shoe maker

Borlace Edwd. Morley, frmr. Tresawna

Rose Thos. Jas. farmer, Lower Penscawn

Felton Walter Braithwaite L.R.C.P. & S. & L.M.Irel. Physician & surgeon (attends tues. & fri. 12 to 1

Boundy James, farmer, Melador

Rowe Edwin, farmer, Brighton

Flamank Richard Henry, butcher

Brenton Minnie (Mrs.), frmr. Halvenna

Solomon Jas. farmer, Little Penhale

Howlett Ernest R., L.D.S.Eng. surgeon-dentist (attends 2nd & last thurs. every month

Brenton William James, shoe maker, Blue Anchor

Spear Warwick, miller (water), Arrallas mill

Liddicoat Jane Harvey (Miss), shopkpr

Bullock Fredk. School attendance offcr

Trebilcock William John, farmer, Perrose Vilda

Martin Wm. Jas. London inn, & farmr

Bullock George, farmer, Barton

Tremain William, farmer, Burthy

Meade Alice Maud (Miss), nurse

Bullock Hart, wheelwright, Blue Anchor

Trewheela China Clay Co. Limited (F.W. Truscott, sec)

Nancarrow Herbert, grocer & draper

Bullock James, farmer, Low. Penhale

Ward Albert, farmer, Goonrounson

Osborne Richard, cowkeeper

Bullock Jasper, farmer, Trewhela

Wheal Benallack China Clay Works (William Bullock, res. agent)

Rundle Sleeman, blacksmith

Bullock Thomas, farmer, Penhale

Wheal Remfry China Clay & Brick Co. (J. Phillips, resident manager)

Thomas Mrs. farmer

Burthy China Clay & Brick Co

Wheal Retallick China Clay Co. Ltd. (William Bullock, resident agent)

Trevarton Dyer, mason

Chapman John, farmer, Hendra

Williams Samuel, farmer, Polmenna

Williams John, carpenter

Chapman Robert, farmer, Glebe

Yelland Arthr. blcksmth. Blue Anchor

Chegwidden Chas. Frmr. Resparva gte

Yelland Geo. carpenter, Blue Anchor

Clarke William, farmer, Trenithan

Coppin Nicholas, farmer, Penhale


Cornwall Constabulary (Wallace Hart, constable)

Drew James, yeoman & farmer, Carvinick

Richards Samuel

Dunstan Geo. Edgar, farmer, Troan

Clarke Thomas, farmer

Grigg John, jun. farmer, Resparva

Crowle Harry, farmer

Hawkey Wm. Augustus, frmr. Pencorse

Hore R. B. & Sons, drapers, Post office

Hawkey Morrise, farmer, Trewinion, Goonhoskyn

Parkyn Samuel, farmer

Hellyar William, farmer, Trevossa

Tippett James, farmer & carrier

Hocking Arthur John, assistant overseer & collector of taxes

Hocking Edward, cowkeeper, Retew

Hopper Wm. farmer, Gunnabarren

Hore R.B. & Sons, drapers, Blue Anchor

Jane Richard, farmer, Retew

Jelbert Jn. & James, farmers, Arralles

Langdon James, Blue Anchor P.H


Back to Main Page
Last Updated on 3rd December 2017
By Mark Jose

Valid HTML 4.0 Transitional