ST. ENODER is a parish 2½ miles south-south-west from St. Columb Road station on the Newquay branch and 5 north from Grampound Road station on the Great Western railway, 10 north-by-east from Truro and 5 south-south-west from St. Columb: the parish is in the Mid division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Pydar and Powder, union and county court district of St. Columb, rural deanery of Pydar, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The river Gannel rises in this parish, which also affords the chief source of the river Fal. The church of St. Ennodorus is an ancient building of granite in the Early Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel with aisles, nave of four bays, aisles, north transept, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells: the tower was partly rebuilt in 1686: there is a Norman font and a few good bench ends: there are monuments to Dorothy (Arundell), wife of Anthony Tanner, gent. ob. 1634; to Anthony Tanner, ob. 1742, erected by George Penwarne; to John Freseyse, yeoman, 16-6, and a number of modern date: at the east end is a memorial window erected by the parishioners, to the Rev. Samuel M. Walker, rector from 1828: a new organ was provided in 1896 at a cost of £250, in memory of the Rev. Jefferys Wilkins Murray M.A. rector from 1874-83: the church was thoroughly restored in 1870, the interior refitted and three new windows added, at a cost of £850: there are sittings for 600 persons. The register dates from the year 1571. The living is a rectory, net income £224, including 20 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Truro, and held since 1892 by the Rev. William Horsburgh M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin: the living is endowed with the great tithes of three fields only: the impropriate tithes amount to £463 yearly. There are United Methodist chapels at Summercourt and Fraddon, and a Wesleyan chapel at Summercourt. In the parish are china clay works and a tin mine. Carvinick House, in this parish, built by Anthony and Grace Tanner, in 1699, is now occupied as a farmhouse. Dr. Clement M. Smith, of Torquay, is lord of the manor of Penhale. The principal landowners in the parish are Viscount Falmouth K.C.V.O., C.B., George Horace Johnstone esq. of Trewithen, Probus; Richard Gully Bennet esq. of Tresillian House, St. Columb Minor; Henry Harcourt Williams esq. of Pencalenick, St. Clement's; John C. S. Rashleigh esq. M.D. of Menabilly, Tywardreath, and A.C.P. Willyams esq. of Tolcarne House, Mawgan The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and spar. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, mangolds and potatoes. The area is 7,269 acres of land, partly arable, pasture and meadow, and the remaining portion an open waste and 6 of water; rateable value, £9,349; the population in 1901 was 1,169.

Post, M.O. & T. Office, Fraddon. -

Richard Best Hore, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Grampound Road, Cornwall, at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 4.45 p.m.; no delivery on sundays

Wall Letter Box, Penhale, cleared at 4.45 p.m. week days only

Public Elementary School (mixed), established in 1828, & since enlarged, for 175 children; average attendance, 157; A. L. Husband, master

The school is controlled by the St. Austell & St. Columb District Education Committee, G. P. Bunt, St. Austell, clerk

MITCHELL, or St. Mitchell, formerly an ancient Parliamentary borough, partly in this parish and partly in the parish of Newlyn, is on the high road from Truro to St. Columb, 2½ miles south-west from the parish church, 2 south-east from Newlyn and 7 north-north-east from Truro: it is said to have been a town of considerable importance in the time of the Saxons, but has now dwindled down to a small village: the borough returned two members to Parliament from the 6th year of Edward VI. (1552), until it was disfranchised by the Reform Act of 1832. It was never incorporated, but was governed by a portreeve, annually elected by a jury at the court leet of the high lord. Among the parliamentary representatives of this borough may be named Richard Carew, the Cornish historian, Sir Walter Raleigh and Colonel Clive. The manor of Mitchell was, in the time of Edward I. the property of Walter de Raleigh, whose son Peter sold it to Ralph de Arundell. John de Arundell, in the year 1301, certified his right to a market or fair on his manor called “Modeshole” which appears to have been allowed in the same manner as it had been previously granted to his predecessor, Walter de Raleigh. The market has been long discontinued, but an annual fair is held on the 15th of October for cattle and sheep.

Post Office, Mitchell. -

Charles Henry Hawk, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Grampound Road, Cornwall, at 7.45 a.m.; dispatched at 5.10 p.m.; no delivery on sundays. Summercourt, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1909, for 40 children up to the age of 9; average attendance, 22; Miss Catherine L. Green, mistress

This school is controlled by the St. Austell & St. Columb District Education Committee; G. P. Bunt, St. Austell, sec

SUMMERCOURT, a hamlet about three-quarters of a mile south from the church at St. Enoder, is intersected by the road from Truro to St. Colomb. It has an annual fair, held on the 25th of September, for cattle and horses.

Post, M.O. & T. Office, Summercourt. -

Miss Jane Harvey Liddicoat, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Grampound Road at 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched, 5.25 p.m.; no delivery on sundays

Osborne's 'bus to Truro, from Summercourt, on wed. & sat. at 9 a.m. & to St. Columb from Summercourt on thurs. at 4.30 p.m. to St. Austell, fri. at 11.30 a.m.

Tippett's, from Fraddon, to St. Columb, thurs. & St. Austell, fri


Box George Dennis A.C.P. School ho

Langdon James, Blue Anchor P.H

Hore R. B. & Sons, drapers & grocers, Post office

Horsburgh Rev. William M.A. (rector). Rectory

Liddicoat Harry, farmer, Burthy Row

Jane John, mason

Liddicoat Tom, farmer, Benallack

Parkyn Samuel, farmer


Minear Arthur, farmer, Retew

Tippett James, farmer & carrier

Anchor China Clay Works (Joseph Grigg, resident agent)

Minear Edred, farmer, Melangoose

Arthur William, farmer, Ennis

Nancarrow Lerrin, farmer, Nanpean

Bassett Richard, cowkeeper, Brighton

Osborne Wm. Hy. frmr. Resparva gate


Bassett Wm. John, farmer, Trefullock

Penna Edward, farmer, Trevisa

Bettison Hy. farmer, Penrose Sophia

Richards John Henry, farmer, Retyn

Dunstan Mary (Mrs.), farmer

Bice, Fanny, Philippa & Kate (Misses), farmers, Glebe

Rose James, farmer, Lower Penscawn

Hawke William, mason

Boundy James, farmer, Melador

Rose Joseph, farmer, Nantillow

Morcomb Anne (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Brenton William James, shoe maker, Blue Anchor

Rose Simeon, farmer, Rosewin

Philp Daniel, blacksmith

Bullock George, farmer, Barton

Rose Thos. farmer, Higher Penscawn

Bullock Hart, wheelwright, Blue Anchor

Rowe Richard, farmer, Brighton


Bullock James, farmer, Low. Penhale

Solomon Jas. farmer, Little Penhale

Bullock Jasper, farmer, Trewhela

Spear Thomas, miller (water) & farmer, Arrallas mill

Bassett William John, farmer

Bullock Thomas, farmer, Penhale

Stephens Richd. Hy. farmer, Halvenna

Benny Joseph, 'bus propr. & carrier

Chapman John, farmer, Hendra

Trebilcock Elizth. Ann (Mrs.), carter, Chytane

Brenton James, watch maker

Chapman Robt. Hy. Farmer, Boswollow

Trebilcock Joseph (Mrs.), farmer, Perrose Udda

Currah Henry, shoe maker

Clarke Josiah Robins, Trenithan

Trewheela China Clay Co. limited (John Charles Mills, sec)

Flamank Richard Henry, butcher

Clemow James, farmer, Tresawna

Ward Albert, farmer, Goonrounson

Liddicoat Jane Harvey (Miss), shopkeeper, Post office

Coppin Nicholas, farmer, Penhale

Wheal Benallack China Clay Works (William Bullock, res. agent)

Martin Wm. Jas. London inn, & farmr

Cornwall Constabulary (Wallace Hart, constable)

Wheal Parsons China Clay Works (Wilson Dyer, agent)

Nancarrow Herbert, grocer & draper

Drew James, yeoman & farmer, Carvinick

Wheal Remfry China Clay & Brick Co. (J. Phillips, resident manager)

Osborne Richard, cowkeeper

Dunstan Herbert Eli, farmer, Troan

Wheal Retallack China Clay Works (William Bullock, resident agent)

Rundle Sleeman, blacksmith

Fal Valley China Clay Works

Williams Samuel, farmer, Polmenna

Thomas Mrs. farmer

Grigg John, jun. farmer, Resparva

Yelland Arthr. blcksmth. Blue Anchor

Trevarton Dyer, mason

Grigg William, farmer, Nankervis

Yelland Geo. carpenter, Blue Anchor

Williams John, carpenter

Hawkey Henry, farmer, Pencorse

Hawkey Morrise, farmer, Trewinion, Goonhoskyn


Hawkey Thomas, farmer, Goonhoskyn

Hellyar John, farmer, Trevossa

Richards Samuel

Hocking Arthur James, assistant overseer & collector of taxes

Clarke Thomas, farmer

Hocking Edward, cowkeeper, Retew

Crowle Henry, farmer

Hopper Wm. farmer, Gunnabarren

Jane Richard, farmer, Retew

Jelbert Thomas, farmer, Arralles

Jewell William, farmer, Burthy


Back to Main Page
Last Updated on 3rd December 2017
By Mark Jose

Valid HTML 4.0 Transitional