ST. ENODER is a parish 2½ miles south-south-west from St. Columb Road station on the Newquay branch and 5 north from Grampound Road station on the Great Western railway, 10 north-by-east from Truro and 5 south-south-west from St. Columb: the parish is in the Mid division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Pydar and Powder, union and county court district of St. Columb, rural deanery of Pydar, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The river Gannel rises in this parish, which also affords the chief source of the river Fal. The church of St. Ennodorus is an ancient building of granite in the Early Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel with aisles, nave of four bays, aisles, north transept, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells: the tower was partly rebuilt in 1686: there is a Norman font and a few good bench ends: there are monuments to Dorothy (Arundell), wife of Anthony Tanner, gent. ob. 1634; to Anthony Tanner, ob. 1742, erected by George Penwarne; to John Freseyse, yeoman, 16-6, and a number of modern date: at the east end is a memorial window erected by the parishioners, to the Rev. Samuel M. Walker, rector from 1828: a new organ was provided in 1896 at a cost of £250, in memory of the Rev. Jefferys Wilkins Murray M.A. rector from 1874-83: the church was thoroughly restored in 1870, the interior refitted and three new windows added, at a cost of £850: there are sittings for 600 persons. The register dates from the year 1571. The living is a rectory, net income £217, including 20 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Truro, and held since 1892 by the Rev. William Horsburgh M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin: the living is endowed with the great tithes of three fields only: the impropriate tithes amount to £463 yearly. There are Bible Christian chapels at Summercourt and Fraddon, and a Wesleyan chapel at Summercourt. In the parish are china clay works and a tin mine. Carvinnick House, in this parish, built by Anthony and Grace Tanner, in 1699, is now occupied as a farm-house. Dr. Clement M. Smith, of Torquay, is lord of the manor of Penhale. The principal landowners in the parish are Viscount Falmouth C.B., M.V.O.; Christopher Henry Thomas Hawkins esq. of Trewithen, Probus; Richard Gully Bennet esq. of Tresillian House, St. Columb Minor; Michael Henry Williams esq. of Pencalenick, St. Clement's; Jonathan Rashleigh esq. of Menabilly, Tywardreath, and Mrs. Stephens. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and spar. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, mangolds and potatoes. The area is 7,269 acres of land, partly arable, pasture and meadow, and the remaining portion an open waste and 6 of water; rateable value, £8.818; the population in 1901 was 1,169.

SUMMERCOURT, a hamlet about three-quarters of a mile south from the church at St. Enoder, is intersected by the road from Truro to St. Colomb. It has an annual fair, held on the 25th of September, for cattle and horses.

MITCHELL, or St. Mitchell, formerly an ancient Parliamentary borough, partly in this parish and partly in the parish of Newlyn, is on the high road from Truro to St. Columb, 2½ miles south-west from the parish church, 2 south-east from Newlyn and 7 north-north-east from Truro: it is said to have been a town of considerable importance in the time of the Saxons, but has now dwindled down to a small village: the borough returned two members to Parliament from the 6th year of Edward VI. (1552), until it was disfranchised by the Reform Act of 1832. It was never incorporated, but was governed by a portreeve, annually elected by a jury at the court leet of the high lord. Among the parliamentary representatives of this borough may be named Richard Carew, the Cornish historian, Sir Walter Raleigh and Colonel Clive. The manor of Mitchell was, in the time of Edward I. the property of Walter de Raleigh, whose son Peter sold it to Ralph de Arundell. John de Arundell, in the year 1301, certified his right to a market or fair on his manor called “Modeshole” which appears to have been allowed in the same manner as it had been previously granted to his predecessor, Walter de Raleigh. The market has been long discontinued, but an annual fair is held on the 15th of October for cattle and sheep.

Post, M. O. & T. O., T. M. O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Fraddon. -

Richard Best Hore, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Grampound Road at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 3.30 p.m. week days only

Post Office. Mitchell. -

Charles Tamblyn, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Grampound Road at 8.20 a.m. ; dispatched at 4.20 p.m. postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Summercourt is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 2 miles distant

Post, M.O. & T.O., T.M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Summercourt. -

Mrs. Jane Harvey Liddicoat, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Grampound Road at 7.40 a.m. ; dispatched 4.40 p.m. week days only

Wall Letter Box, Penhale, cleared at 4 p.m. week days only

National School (mixed), established in 1828, & since enlarged for 170 children; average attendance, 133; Frederick Waddleton, master

Benny's 'bus to Truro, from Summercourt, on wed. & sat. at 9 a.m. & to St. Columb from Summercourt on thurs. at 4.30 p.m. to St. Austell, fri. at 11.30 a.m.

Tippett's, from Fraddon, to St. Columb, thurs. & St. Austell, fri


Horsburgh Rev. William M.A. (rector). Rectory

Jane Richard, farmer, Retew

Bullock Joseph, farmer

Williams Michael Henry, Arrallas

Kessell John, shopkeepr & farmer, Blue Anchor

Crowle Henry, farmer


Liddicoat Thomas (Mrs.) & Sons, farmers, Burthy Row

Crowle Thomas, farmer

Arthur William, farmer, Ennis

Liddicoat Tom, farmer, Benallack

Hore Richard Best, draper & grocer, Post office

Barkle James, farmer, Trevisa

Martyn Joseph King, farmer, Retyn

Jane John, mason

Bassett Richard, shopkeeper & cowkeeper, Brighton

Minear Arthur, farmer, Retew

Lampshire Abraham Dean, farmer

Bassett Wm. John, farmer, Trefullock

Minear Edred, farmer, Melangoose

Warden Richard, farmer

Beard Ernest, farmer, Penrose Sophia

Osborne Benj. farmer, Blue Anchor

Bice, Fanny, Philippa & Kate (Misses), farmers, Glebe

Osborne Wm. Hy. frmr. Resparva gate


Bice James, farmer, Burthy

Retew China Clay Works (Wm. Bullock, res. agent)

Bassett William Francis, brewer

Boundy James, farmer, Melador

Rose James, farmer, Lower Penscawn

Dunstan Mary (Mrs.), farmer

Brenton William James, shoe maker, Blue Anchor

Rose Joseph, farmer, Nantillow

Hawke William, mason

Bullock Hart, wheelwright, Blue Anchor

Rose Simeon, farmer, Rosewin

Manhire Richard, butcher

Bullock John, farmer, Barton

Rose Thos. farmer, Higher Penscawn

Philp Daniel, blacksmith

Bullock Thomas, farmer, Trewhela

Rowe Richard, farmer, Brighton

Tamblyn Charles, draper & tea dealer, Post office

Bullock William, farmer, Retew

Snell Edwin, farmer, Nanpean

Tamblyn David, wheelwright & registrar of births & deaths for Newlyn sub-district, St. Columb union

Chapman John, farmer, Hendra

Spear Thomas, miller (water) & farmer, Arrallas mill

Chapman Robt. Hy. Farmer, Boswallow

Stephens Richd. Hy. farmer, Halvenna


Clarke Josiah Robins, Trenithan

Stribley John, farmer, Resparva

Bassett William John, farmer

Clemow James, farmer, Tresawna

Trebilcock John, carter, Chytane

Benny Philippa (Mrs.), bus proprietor & carrier

Cole John, farmer & assistant overseer, Trefullack

Trebilcock Joseph (Mrs.), farmer, Perrose Udda

Bishop Simon, saddler

Coppin Nicholas, farmer, Penhale

Ward Albert, farmer, Goonrounson

Brenton James, watch maker

Cornwall Constabulary (John James Jenkin, constable)

Wheal Benallack China Clay Works (Edward Hocking, res. agent)

Bunt Thomas, refreshment rooms

Drew James, yeoman & farmer, Carvinick

Wheal Parsons China Clay Works (James Martin, agent)

Burt Jn. mason &collector of taxes

Eplett Jabez, farmer, Bedanna

Wheal Remfry China Clay Works

Currah Henry, shoe maker

Flamank Richard Henry, farmer, Little Penhale

Williams Arthur, Prudential insur. agt

Flamank Richard Henry, butcher

Great Halwyn China Clay Co. (W. J. North, agent)

Williams Felix, farmer, Halvenna

Huddy & Thomas, farmers

Grigg John, jun. farmer, Resparva

Williams Nicholas, farmer, Troan

Liddicoat Jane Harvey (Miss), shopkeeper, Post office

Grigg William, farmer, Nankervis

Williams Samuel, farmer, Polmenna

Martin Wm. Jas. London inn, & farmer

Hawkey William & Son, farmers, Trewinion, Goonhoskyn

Woodley Abraham, farmer, Chytane

Nancarrow Ann (Mrs.), grocer & drpr

Hawkey Hy. farmer, Pencorse & Troan

Yelland Arthr. blcksmth. Blue Anchor

Osborne Richard, cowkeeper

Hawkey Thomas, farmer, Goonhoskyn

Yelland Geo. carpenter, Blue Anchor

Rundle Sleeman, blacksmith

Hellyar John, farmer, Trevossa

Tamblyn Ellen (Mrs.), farmer

Hicks Richard, farm bailiff to M. H. Williams esq. Arrallas


Tamblyn Richard, carpenter

Hocking Edward, cowkeeper, Retew

Richards Samuel

Trevarton James, mason

Hopper Wm. farmer, Gunnabarren

Bazley Henry, farmer

Williams Nicholas Joseph, shopkeeper


Back to Main Page
Last Updated on 3rd December 2017
By Mark Jose

Valid HTML 4.0 Transitional