ST. ENODER is a parish 2½ miles south-south-west from St. Columb Road station on the Newquay branch and 5 north from Grampound Road station on the Great Western railway, 10 north-by-east from Truro and 5 south-south-west from St. Columb: the parish is in the Mid division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Pydar and Powder, union and county court district of St. Columb, rural deanery of Pydar, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The river Gannel rises in this parish, which also affords the chief source of the river Fal. The church of St. Ennodorus is an ancient building of granite in the Early Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel with aisles, nave of four bays, aisles, north transept, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells: the tower was partly rebuilt in 1686: there are monuments to Dorothy (Arundell), wife of Anthony Tanner, gent. ob. 1634; to Anthony Tanner, ob. 1742, erected by George Penwarne; to John Freseyse, yeoman, 16-6, and a number of modern date: at the east end is a memorial window erected by the parishioners, to the Rev. Samuel M. Walker, rector from 1828: a new organ was provided in 1896 at a cost of £250, in memory of the Rev. Jefferys Wilkins Murray M.A. rector from 1874-83: the church was thoroughly restored in 1870, the interior refitted and three new windows added, at a cost of £850: there are sittings for 600 persons. The register dates from the year 1571. The living is a rectory, net income £225, including 20 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Truro, and held since 1892 by the Rev. William Horsburgh M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin: the living is endowed with the great tithes of three fields only: the impropriate tithes amount to £463 yearly. There are three Bible Christian chapels in the parish, viz., at Summercourt, Fraddon and Michell. There are china clay works and a tin mine in this parish. Carvinick House, in this parish, built by Anthony and Grace Tanner, in 1699, is now occupied as a farmhouse. Dr. Clement M. Smith, of Torquay, is lord of the manor of Penhale. The principal landowners in the parish are Viscount Falmouth; Christohper Henry Thomas Hawkins esq. of Trewithan, Probus; Richard Gully Bennet esq. of Tresillian House, St. Columb Minor; Michael Henry Williams esq. of Pencalenick, St. Clement’s; Jonathan Rashleigh esq. of Menabilly, Tywardreath, and Mrs. Stephens. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and spar. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, mangolds and potatoes. The area is 6,827 acres, partly arable, pasture and meadow, and the remaining portion an open waste; rateable value, £7,868; the population in 1891 was 1,114

SUMMERCOURT, a hamlet about three-quarters of a mile south from the church at St. Enoder, is intersected by the road from Truro to St. Colomb. It has an annual fair, held on the 25th of September, for cattle and horses.

MICHELL, or St. Michael, formerly an ancient Parliamentary borugh, partly in this parish and partly in the parish of Newlyn, is on the high road from Truro to St. Columb, 2½ miles south-west from the parish church, 2 south-east from Newlyn and 7 north-north-east from Truro: it is said to have been a town of considerable importance in the time of the Saxons, but has now dwindled down to a small village: the borough returned two members to Parliament from the 6th year of Edward VI. (1552), until it was disfranchised by the Reform Act of 1832. It was never incorporated, but was governed by a portreeve, annually elected by a jury at the court leet of the high lord. Among the parliamentary representatives of this borough may be named Richard Carew, the Cornish historian, Sir Walter Raleigh and Colonel Clive. The manor or Michell was, in the time of Edward I. the property of Walter de Raleigh, whose son Peter sold it to Ralph de Arundell. John de Arundell, in the year 1301, certified his right to a market or fair on his manor called “Modeshole” which appears to have been allowed in the same manner as it had been previously granted to his predecessor, Walter de Raleigh. The market has been long discontinued, but an annual fair is held on the 15th of October for cattle and sheep.

Post Office, Fraddon. - Richard Best Hore, sub-postmaster.

Letters arrive from Grampound Road at 9.15 a.m.; dispatched at 3.30 p.m. week days only. Summercourt is the nearest money order office & telegraph office at St. Denis. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid

Post Office, Michell. - Charles Tamblyn, sub-postmaster.

Letters arrive from Grampound Road at 8.20 a.m.; dispatched at 4.20 p.m. Summercourt is the nearest money order office, & telegraph office at Grampound Road; telephone at Newlyn. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.

Post & M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Summercourt. - Miss Jane Harvey Liddicoat, sub-postmistress.

Letters arrive from Grampound Road at 7.40 a.m.; dispatched 4.40 p.m. week days only. Grampound Road is the nearest telegraph office

Wall Letter Box, Blue Anchor, cleared at 3.40 p.m. week days only

National School (mixed), established in 1828, for 150 children; average attendance, 130; Frederick Waddleton, master

Benny’s ‘bus to Truro, from Summercourt, on wed. & sat. at 9 a.m. & to St. Columb from Summercourt on thurs. at 4.30 p.m. to St. Austell, fri. at 11.30 a.m.


Martyn Joseph King, yeoman, land agent & valuer, Retyn


Horsburgh Rev. Wm. M.A. (rector)

Minear Arthur, farmer, Retew


Martyn Joseph King, Retyn

Minear Edred, farmer, Melangoose

Bassett William Francis, brewer

Williams Michael Henry, Arrallas

Nankivell John Hy. farmer, Trevisa

Dunstan John, farmer


Nicholls John, farmer, Blue Anchor

Hawke Harry, mason

Arthur William, farmer, Ennis

Osborne Wm. Hy. frmr. Resparva gate

Hawke William, mason

Bassett Richard, shopkeeper & cowkeeper, Brighton

Rogers Richard Jn. Tailor, Blue Anchr

Manhire Richard, jun. butcher

Bassett Wm. John, farmer, Trefullock

Rose Joseph, farmer, Nantillow

Philp Daniel, blacksmith

Bettison Hy. farmer, Penrose Sophia

Rose Simeon, farmer, Rosewin

Randall William, Feathers P.H

Bice Fanny, Philippa & Kate (Misses), farmers, Glebe

Rose Thos. farmer, Higher Penscawn

Tamblyn Charles, draper & tea dealer, Post office

Bice James, farmer, Burthy

Retew China Clay Works (Wm. Bullock, res. agent)

Tanblyn David, wheelwright & registrar of births & deaths for Newlyn sub-district

Bice Luke, farmer, Blue Anchor

Richards Saml. granite quarry, Burthy


Boundy James, farmer, Retew

Rose James, farmer, Lower Penscawn

Bassett Mrs. Garnet House

Brenton William James, shoe maker, Blue Anchor

Salmon John, farmer, Penhale


Bullock Arthur, farmer, Pemhale

Snell Edwin, farmer, Nanpean

Bassett William John, farmer

Bullock Hart, wheelwright, Blue Anchor

Spear Thomas, miller & farmer, Arrallas mill

Benny Philippa (Mrs.), bus proprietor & carrier

Bullock John, farmer, Barton

Stephens Richd. Hy. farmer, Halvenna

Bishop Simon, saddler

Bullock Thomas, Trewhela

Stribley John, farmer, Resparva

Brenton James, watch maker

Bullock William, farmer, Retew

Tonkin Frederick, Blue Anchor P.H

Burt Jn. Mason & collector of taxes

Chapman John, farmer, Hendra

Trebilcock Joseph (Mrs.), farmer, Perrose Udda

Currah Henry, shoe maker

Chapman Robt. Hy. farmer, Boswollow

Tremaine William, farmer, Bedanna

Flamank Richard Henry, butcher

Clemow James, farmer,Tresawna

Ward Albert, farmer, Goonrounson

Huddy Mary Jane (Miss) & Elizabeth Ann (Mrs.), farmers

Cole John, farmer & assistant overseer, Trefullack

Wheal Benallack China Clay Works (Edfward Hocking, res. agent)

Jenkyns Philippa (Miss), dress maker

Cornwall Constabulary (John Edward Kent, constable)

Wheal Parsons China Clay Works (James Martin, res. agent)

Liddicoat Jane Harvey (Miss), shopkeeper, Post office

Drew James, yeoman & farmer, Carvynick

Wheal Remfy China Clay Works

Martin Wm. Jas. London inn & farmr

Flamank Jn. Farmer, Little Penhale

Williams Edward, farmer, Chytane

Nancarrow Ann (Mrs.), grocer & drpr

Great Halwyn China Clay Co. (W.J. North, agent)

Williams Felix, farmer, Halvenna

Osborne Richard, cowkeeper

Grigg John, farm bailiff to M. H. Williams esq. Arrallas

Williams Michael, farmer, Gunnabarrn

Rundle Richard, blacksmith

Grigg John, farm bailiff to M. H. Williams esq. Arrallas

Williams Nicholas, farmer, Troan

Tamblyn Ellen (Mrs.), farmer

Grigg William, farmer, Nankervis

Wiliams Samuel, farmer, Polmenna

Tamblyn Richard, carpenter

Harding Richard, farmer, Trenithan

Yelland Arthr. blcksmth. Blue Anchor

Trebilcock John, carter

Hawkey William & Son, farmers, Trewinion, Gonhskyn

Yelland Geo. carpenter, Blue Anchor

Trevarton James, mason

Hawkey Henry, farmer, Pencorse


Williams Nicholas Joseph, shopkeeper

Hawkey Thomas, farmer, Gonhskyn

Bazley Henry, farmer

Heliar John, farmer, Trevossa

Bazley Henry, farmer

Hocking Edward, cowkeeper, Retew

Bullock Joseph, farmer

Hotton William, miller & farmer, Nanpean mills

Crowle Henry, farmer

Jane John, farmer, Little Resparva

Crowle Thomas, farmer

Jane Richard, farmer, Retew

Hore Richard Best, draper & shopkeeper (branch), Post office

Kessell John, shopkeeper, Blue Anchor

Jane John, mason

Liddicoat Arthur, farmer, Troan

Lampshire Abraham Dean, farmer

Liddicoat Thomas, farmer, Benallack

Warden Richard, farmer


Back to Main Page
Last Updated on 3rd December 2017
By Mark Jose

Valid HTML 4.0 Transitional