St. Enoder is a parish 2½ miles south-south-west from St. Columb Road station on the Newquay branch and 5 north from Grampound Road station on the Great Western railway, 10 north-by-east from Truro and 5 south-south-west from St. Columb : the parish is in the Mid division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Pydar and Powder, union and county court district of St. Columb, rural deanery of Pydar, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The river Gannel rises in this parish, which also affords the chief source of the river Fal. The church of St. Ennodorus is an ancient building of granite in the Early Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel with aisles, nave of four bays, aisles, north transept, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells : the tower was partly rebuilt in 1686 : there is a Norman font and a few good bench ends : there are monuments to Dorothy (Arundell), wife of Anthony Tanner, gent, ob. 1634; to Anthony Tanner, ob. 1742, erected by George Penwarne; to John Freseyse, yeoman, 16-6, and a number of modern date : at the east end is a memorial windows inserted by the parishioners, to the Rev. Samuel M. Walker, rector from 1828 : the church was thoroughly restored in 1870, the interior refitted and three new windows added, at a cost of £850 : there are sittings for 600 persons. The register dates from the year 1571. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £243, net income £240, including 20 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Truro, and held since 1892 by the Rev. William Horsburgh B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin : the living is endowed with the great tithes of three fields only : the impropriate tithes amount to £463 yearly. There are three Bible Christian chapels in the parish, viz. at Summercourt, Fraddon and Retyn; and Wesleyan chapels at Summercourt and Michell. There are china clay works and a tin mine in this parish. Carvinick House, in this parish, built by Anthony and Grace Tanner, in 1699, is now occupied as a farmhouse. Dr. Edward Last Smith, of Torquay, is lord of the manor of Penhale. The principal landowners in the parish are Viscount Falmouth; Christopher Henry Thomas Hawkins esq. B.A., D.L., J.P. of Trewithan, Probus; Richard Gully Bennet esq. B.A., D.L., J.P. of Tresillian House, St. Columb Minor; Michael Henry Williams esq. D.L., J.P of Pencalenick, St. Clement’s; Jonathan Rashleigh esq. B.A., D.L., J.P. of Menabilly, Tywardreath, and Mrs. Stephens. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and spar. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, mangolds and potatoes. The area is 6,827 acres, partly arable, pasture and meadow, and the remaining portion an open waste : rateable value, £7,188; the population in 1891 was 1,114.

Summercourt, a hamlet about three quarters of a mile south from the church of St. Enoder, is intersected by the road from Truro to St. Columb. It has an annual fair, held on the 25th of September, for cattle and horses.

Michell, or ST. MICHAEL, formerly an ancient Parliamentary borough, partly in this parish and paretly in the parish of Newlyn, is on the high road from Truro to St. Columb, 2½ miles south-west from the parish church, 2 south-east from Newlyn and 7 north-north-east from Truro : it is said to have been a town of considerable importance in the time of the Saxons, but has now dwindled down to a small village : the borough returned two members to Parliament from the 6th year of Edward VI. (1552), until it was disfranchised by the Reform Act of 1832. It was never incorporated, but was governed by a portreeve, annually elected by a jury at the court leet of the high lord. Among the parliamentary representatives of this borough may be named Richard Carew, the Cornish historian, Sir Walter Raleigh and Col. Clive. The manor of Michell was, in the time of Edward I. the property of Walter de Raleigh, whose son Peter sold it to Ralph de Arundell. John de Arundell, in the year 1301, certified his right to a market or fair on his manor called “Modeshole,” which appears to have been allowed in the same manner as it had been previously granted to his predecessor, Walter de Raleigh. The market has been long discontinued, but an annual fair is held on the 15th of October for cattle and sheep.

POST OFFICE, Fraddon.- Richard Best Hore, sub-postmaster.

Letters arrive from St. Columb R.S.O. at 11.15 a.m.;

dispatched at 3.10 p.m. week days only. Summercourt is the nearest money order office & telegraph office at St. Denis. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.

POST OFFICE, Michell.- Charles Tamblyn, sub-postmaster.

Letters arrive from Grampound Road at 8.20 a.m.; dispatched at 4.35 p.m. Summercourt is the nearest money order office & telegraph office at Grampound Road. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid

POST & M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Summercourt.- Miss Jane Harvey Liddicoat, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Grampound Road at 9.40 a.m.; dispatched 3.10 p.m. week days only. Grampound Road is the nearest telegraph office.

WALL LETTER BOX, Blue Anchor, cleared at 3.5 p.m. week days only

National School (mixed), established in 1828, for 150 children; average attendance, 110; Fredk. Waddleton, mastr

Benny’s bus to Truro, from Summercourt, on wed. & sat. at 9 a.m. & to St. Columb from Summercourt on thurs. at 4.30 p.m.

St. Enoder

*Tonkin Frederick, Blue Anchor P.H.

[Marked thus * letters should be addressed St. Columb R.S.O.]

Trebilcock Joseph (Mrs.), farmer, Perrose Udda

Wheal Benallack China Clay Works (Edward Hocking, res. agent)

Horsburgh Rev. William B.A. [rector]

Wheal Parsons China Clay Works (James Martin, res. agent)

Martyn Joseph King, Retyn

Wheal Remfry China Clay Works (John Evans, manager)

Williams Michael Henry, Arrallas

Williams Edward, farmer, Chytane

Williams James Hy. farmer, Halvenna


Williams Nicholas, farmer, Troan

Arthur George, farmer, Ennis

Williams Richard, farmer, Gunnabarren

Bassett John, farmer & cattle dealer, Goonrounsen

Williams Richard, miller & farmer, Nanpean mills

Bassett John, farmer, Trefullock

Williams Samuel, farmer, Polmenna

Bassett Richard, shopkeeper & cowkeeper, Brighton

*Yelland Arthr. blacksmith, Blue Anchor

Betitson Henry, farmer, Penrose Sophia

Bice Fanny, Philippa & Kate (Misses), farmers, Glebe


Bice James, farmer, Burthy

* Bice Luke, farmer, Blue Anchor

Bullock Joseph, farmer

Boundy James, farmer, Retew

Crowle Thomas, farmer

*Brenton William, shoe ma. Blue Anchor

Hore Richard Best, draper & shopkeeper (branch), Post Office

Brewer William Hy. Farmer, Bedanna

Jane John, mason

*Bullock Arthur, farmer, Penhale

Lampshire Abraham Dean, farmer

*Bullock Hart, wheelwrght. Blue Anchor

Warden Richard, farmer & carrier

Bullock John, farmer, Barton

Worden Richard, farmer

Bullock Thomas, farmer, Trewhela

Bullock William, farmer, Retew


Chapman John, farmer, Hendra

Chapman Robert Hy. farmer, Boswollow

Dunstan John, farmer

Clemow James, farmer, Tresawna

Harris Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Cole Thomas, farmer, Trefullack

Hawke Harry, mason

Cornwall Constabulary (Francis Bartlett, constable)

Hawke William, mason

Drew James, farmer & farm bailiff to exors. Of W. Langdon esq. Carvinack

Manhire Frederick, farmer

Flamank John, farmer, Little Penhale

Manhire Richard, jun. butcher

Great Halwyn China Clay Co. (W. J. North, agent)

Philp Daniel, blacksmith

Grigg John, farm bailiff to M. H. Williams esq. Arrallas

Tamblyn Chas. draper & tea dlr. Post offi

Grigg John, jun. farmer, Resparva

Tamblyn David, wheelwrt. & regisrar of births & deaths for Newlyn sub-district

Grigg William, farmer, Nankervis

Harding Richard, farmer, Trenithan


Hawkey William & Son, farmers, Trewionion, Gonhskyn

Hawkey Henry, farmer, Pencorse

Clayton John, Garnet house

Helliar John, farmer, Trevossa


Hocking Edward, cowkeeper, Retew

Bassett Francis, farmer

Jane John, farmer, Little Resparva

Benny Philippa (Mrs.), bus proprietor & carrier

Jane Richard, farmer, Retew

Bishop Simon, saddler

*Kessell John, shopkeeper, Blue Anchor

Brenton James, watch maker

Liddicoat Thomas (Mrs.) & Sons, farmers, Burthy Row

Burt John, mason & collector of taxes

Liddicoat Thos. Jun. farmer, Benallack

Currah Henry, shoe maker

Martyn Joseph King, yeoman, land agent & valuer, Retyn

Flamank Richard Henry, butcher

Minear Arthur, farmer, Retew

Huddy Mary Jane (Miss) & Elizabeth Ann (Mrs.), farmers, Summercourt

Minear John, farmer, Melangoose

Jenkyns Philippa (Miss), dress maker

Nankivell John Henry, farmer, Trevisa

Liddicoat Jane Harvey (Miss), shopkeeper, Post office

*Nicholls John, farmer, Blue Anchor

Martin William, London inn, & farmer

Osborne Frank, farmer, Retew

Nancarrow Ann (Mrs.), grocer & drapr

Rose Joseph, farmer, Retew

Osborne Richard, cowkeeper

Rose Simeon, farmer, Rosewin

Rundle Richard, blacksmith

Rose Thomas, farmer, Higher Penscawn

Tamblyn John, assistant overseer & frmr

*Roskilly Richard, farmer, Penhale

Tamblyn Richard, carpenter

Retew China Clay Works (Albert Bullock, res. agent)

Trebilcock John, carter

Richards John Henry, farmer, Troan

Trevarton Anna (Miss), dressmaker

Richards Samuel, granite quarry, Burthy

Trevarton James, mason

Rose James, farmer, Lower Penscawn

Williams Nicholas Joseph, shopkeeper

Skinner John, farmer, Resparva gate

Snell Edwin, farmer, Nanpean

Spear Thos. miller & farmr. Arrallas mill

Stephens Richd. Henry, farmer, Halvenna

Stribley John (Mrs.), farmer, Resparva


Back to Main Page
Last Updated on 3rd December 2017
By Mark Jose

Valid HTML 4.0 Transitional