ST. ENODER is a parish containing the hamlet of SUMMER COURT, and a portion of that of MICHELL, or ST. MICHAEL as it was called formerly, and is 10 miles north-by-east from Truro, 5 south-south-west from St. Columb, 2½ south-south-west from St. Columb Road station on the Newquay branch of the Great Western railway, and 5 north from Grampound Road station on ther Cornwall (Great Western) railway. The parish is in the Mid division of the county, hundred and petty sessional division of Pyder and Powder, union and county court district of St. Columb, rural deanery of Pyder, archdeaconry of Cornwall, and diocese of Truro. The river Gannel rises in this parish, which also affords the chief source of the river Fal. The church of St. Ennodorus is an ancient building of granite in the Early Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisiting of chancel with aisles, nave of four bays, aisles, north transept, south porch, and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells: the tower was partly rebuilt in 1686: there is a Norman font and a few good bench ends: there are monuments to Dorothy (Arundell), wife of Anthony Tanner, gent, ob. 1634; to Anthony Tanner, ob. 1742, erected by George Penwarne; to John Freseyse, yeoman, 16-6, and a number of modern date: at the east end is a memorial window inserted by the parishioners, to the Rev. S. M. Walker, a former rector: the church was thoroughly restored in 1870, the interior refitted, and three new windows added, at a cost of £850: there are sittings for 600 persons. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge, £268, net income £220, including 20 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Truro, and held since 1883 by the Rev. George Dawson Cartwright B. A. of Trinity College, Dublin : the living is endowed with the great tithes of three fields only : the impropriate tithes amount to £463 yearly. Here is a Bible Christian chapel, and there are Wesleyan chapels at Summer Court, Fraddon, and at Michell. By the side of the road leading to Fraddon, are the head and base of a cross. There are china clay works and a tin mine in this parish. Carvinick House, situated in this parish, and built by Anthony and Grace Tanner, in 1699, is now occupied as a farm house. Dr. Edward Last Smith, of Torquay, is lord of the manor of Penhale. The principal landowners in the parish are Viscount Falmouth D.L., J.P.; Christopher Henry Thomas Hawkins esq. B.A., J.P., D.L. of Trewithan, Probus; Richard Gully Bennet esq. B.A., D.L., J.P. of Tresillian House, St. Columb Minor; Michael Henry Williams esq. D.L., J.P. of Pencalenick, St Clement’s; Jonathan Rashleigh esq. B.A., J.P., D.L. of Menabilly, Tywardreath, and Mrs Stephens. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and spar. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, mangolds and potatoes. The area is 7,037 acres, partly arable, pasture, and meadow, and the remaining portion an open waste; rateable value, £7,633, and the populaion in 1881 was 1,120.

Parish Clerk, Charles Bice.

Summercourt, a hamlet situated about three quarters of a mile south from the church of St. Enoder, is intersected by the road from Truro to St. Columb. It has an annual fair, held on the 25th of September, for cattle and horses.

Michell, or ST. MICHAEL, is an ancient Parliamentary borough, partly in this parish and partly in the parish of Newlyn, situated on the high road from Truro to St. Columb, 2½ miles south-west from the parish church, 2 south-east from Newlyn, and 7 north-north-east from Truro : it is said to have been a town of considerable importance in the time of the Saxons, but has now dwindled down to a small village : the borough returned two members to Parliament from the 6th year of Edward VI. (1552), until it was disfranchised by the Reform Act of 1832. It was never incorporated, but was governed by a portreeve, annually elected by a jury at the Court leet of the high lord. Among the parliamentary representatives of this borough may be named Richard Carew, the Cornish historian, Sir Walter Raleigh, and Col. Clive. The manor of Michell was, in the time of Edward I. the property of Walter de Raleigh, whose son Peter sold it to Ralph de Arundell. John de Arundell, in the year 1301, certified his right to a market or fair on his manor called “Modeshole,” which appears to have been allowed in the same manner as it had been previously granted to his predecessor, Walter de Raleigh. The market has been long discontinued, but an annual fair is held on the 15th of October for cattle and sheep.

POST OFFICE, Michell. - Charles Tamblyn, sub-postmaster.

Letters arrive from Grampound Road at 8.10 a.m. ; dispatched at 4.15 p.m. Newlyn East is the

nearest money order office & telegraph office at Grampound Road

POST OFFICE, Summercourt. - Miss Jane Harvey Liddicoat, receiver.

Letters arrive from Grampound Road at 9.20 a.m.; dispatched 12.5 p.m. week days only.

Grampound Road is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Postal orders are issued here, but not paid

WALL LETTER BOX.- Blue Anchor, cleared at 10.20 p.m. week days ony

National School (mixed), established in 1828, for 150 children; average attendance, 95; George Bray, master; Mrs. E. Bray, mistress

                                        St. Enoder Retew China Clay Works (Albert Bullock, res, agent)

Richards John Henry, farmer, Troan
Cartwright Rev. Geo. Dawson B.A. Rectry Richards Samuel, granite quarry, Burthy
Martyn Joseph King, Retyn Rose Jas.farmer.Higher & LowPenscawn
Williams Michael Henry, Arrallas Skinner John, farmer, Resparva Gate

Snell Edwin, farmer, Nanpean
                             COMMERCIAL Spear Thos.miller & farmr. Arrallas mill
Bassett John, farmer, Goonrounson   Stephens Richard, farmer, Halvenna
Bassett John, farmer, Trefullock Stribley John (Mrs.), farmer, Resparva
Bettison Henry, farmer, Penrose Sophia Tonkin Frederick, Blue Anchor P.H
Bice Charles, farmer, Glebe Trebilcock Joseph (Mrs.), farmer, Perrose Udda
Bice Luke, farmer, Burthy Truscott Lewis Thos. farmer, Fraddon
Brenton William, shoe ma. Blue Anchor Warden Richd. frmr. & carrier, Fraddon
Bullock Hart, wheelwright, Blue Anchor Wheal Benallack China Clay Works (Edward Hocking, res. agent)
Bullock Thomas, farmer, Penhale Wheal Parsons China Clay Works (James Martin, res. agent)
Chapman John, farmer, Hendra Wheal Remfry China Clay Works (John Evans, manager)
Chapman Robert Hy. Farmr. Boswollow Williams James Hy. farmer, Halvenna
Chytane China Clay & Brick Works Co. Lim.manufacturers
of fire bricks, tiles
& Henley’s patent dovetailed bricks for
hollow walls (George Middleton
Henley, manager)
Williams Richard, miller & farmer, Nanpean mills


Cole Thomas, farmer, Trefullack Williams Nicholas, farmer, Troan
Commons Jas. shopkpr. Blue Anchor Williams Samuel, farmer, Blue Anchor
Curtis William, farmer, Blue Anchor Williams Samuel, farmer, Polmenna
Dench Robert, blacksmith, Blue Anchor Woodley John, farmer, Wood tenement

Drew James, farmer & farm bailiff to W. Langdon esq. Carvinack

Evans John, farmer, Retew                                                   Michell.
Eykyn Richard Henry, farmer, Ennis
Fal Valley China Clay Works Limited (John Minnear, res.agent) Harris Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Flamank John, farmer, Little Penhale Hawke William, mason
Francis Frank, farmer, Trewolla Manhire Richard, farmer
Great Halwyn China Clay Co. (Thomas Manhire, res. agent) Manhire Richard, jun. butcher
Grigg John, farm bailiff to M. H. Williams esq. Arrallas Philp Daniel, blacksmith
Grigg John, jun. farmer, Resparva Tamblyn Chas.Draper & tea dlr. Post offi
Grigg William, farmer, Nankervis Tamblyn David, wheelwrt. & registrar of births&deaths for Newlyn sub-district
Hall Richard Best, draper & shopkeeper, Blue Anchor  Tamblyn Nathan, shoe maker
Harding Richard, farmer, Trenithan
Hawkey Henry, farmer, Pencorse                                     Summercourt
Hawkey Wm. frmr. Trewinion,Gonhskyn    Bassett George, Garnet house
Helliar John, farmer, Trevossa
Henley George Middleton, manager, Chytane China Clay & Brick Works Co. Limited                                             COMMERCIAL
Hoare Richd. draper & shopkpr. Fraddon Benny Walter, shopkeeper & carrier
Jane John, farmer, Little Resparva Bishop Simon, saddler
Jane John, farmer, Halvenna Huddy Mary Jane (Miss) & Thos. Elizh.Ann (Mrs.), farmers, Summercourt
Jane John, mason, Fraddon Flamank Richard Henry, butcher
Liddicoat Thomas, farmer, Burthy Row Liddicoat Jane Harvey (Miss), shopkeeper, Post office
Liddicoat Thos. jun. Farmer, Benallack Manhire Robert, shoe maker
Martyn Joseph King, yeoman, land agent & valuer, Retyn Martin John, London inn, & farmer
Reskilly James, farmer, Bodanna Nancarrow John, grocer & draper
Reskilly Richard, farmer, Penhale Rundle Richard, blacksmith

Tamblyn John, assistant overseer & assessor of taxes

Tamblyn Richard, carpenter

Williams Nicholas Joseph, shopkeeper

Williams William, farmer

















Back to Main Page
Last Updated on 3rd December 2017
By Mark Jose

Valid HTML 4.0 Transitional