ST. ENODER is a parish containing the hamlet of SUMMER COURT, and a portion of that of MICHELL or ST. MICHAEL as it was called formerly. The parish is in the Western division of the county, hundreds of Pyder and Powder, union and county court district of St. Columb, rural deanery of Pyder, archdeaconary of Cornwall, and diocese of Truro, 10 miles north-by-east from Truro, 5 south-west from St. Columb, 2½ from St. Columb Road station and 5 from Grampound Road. The church of St. Ennodorus is an ancient building of granite in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel with aisles, nave, aisles, north transept, south porch, and an embattled tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells: the tower was partly rebuilt in 1686: there is a Norman font and a few good bench ends: the church was thoroughly restored in 1870, the interior refitted, and three new windows added, at a cost of £850: there is a monument to Dorothy (Arundell), wife of Anthony Tanner, Gent. 1634: another, erected by George Penwarne, to Anthony Tanner, 1742; one to John Freseyse, yeoman, 16-6, and a number of modern memorials: a stained glass window has been inserted by the parishioners, at the east end, in memory of the late Rev. S. M. Walker, a former rector: there are sittings for 600 persons. The register dates from the year 1571. The living is a rectory, yearly value from tithe rent-charge, £320, net income £275, with residence and 20 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Truro, and now vacant: the living is endowed with the great tithes of three fields only: the impropriate tithes amount to £463 yearly. Here is a Bible Christian chapel and Wesleyan chapel at Summer Court and one at Fraddon and at Michell. By the side of the road leading to Fraddon, are the head and base of a cross. There are china clay works and a tin mine in this parish. Carvinick House, situated in this parish, and built by Anthony and Grace Tanner, in 1699, is now occupied as a farm house. Dr. E. L. Smith of Torquay, is lord of the manor of Penhale.

The principal landowners in the parish are Viscount Falmouth, Christopher Henry Thomas Hawkins esq. J.P., D.L., Richard Gully Bennet esq. Michael Henry Williams esq. J.P., D.L. Jonathan Rashleigh esq. J.P., D.L. and Mrs. Stephens.

The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and spar. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, mangolds and potatoes. The area is 7,037 acres, partly arable, pasture, and meadow, and the remaining portion an open waste; rateable value, £8,189; and the population in 1881 was 1,120

Parish Clerk, Charles Bice.

Summer Court hamlet is situated about three quarters of a mile south from the church of St. Enoder, and is intersected by the road from Truro to St. Columb. Summer Court has an annual fair, which is held on the 25th of September, for large shows of cattle and horses.

MICHELL, or ST. MICHAEL, is an ancient borough, partly in the parish of Newlyn, situated on the turnpike road from Truro to St. Columb, 2½ miles south-west from the parish church, 2 south-east from Newlyn, and 7 north from Truro; this is said to have been a town of considerable importance in the time of the Saxons, but it has now dwindled down to a small village: it possessed the privilege of returning two members to Parliament from the 6th year of Edward VI. (1552), but ceased to do so after the Parliament 1831-2, when it was disfranchised. The borough was never incorporated, but was governed by a portreeve, annually elected by a jury at the Court leet of the high lord. Among the parliamentary representatives of this borough may be named Carew, the Cornish historian, Sir Walter Raleigh, and Col. Clive. The manor of Michell was, in the time of Edward I the property of Walter de Raleigh, whose son Peter sold it to Ralph de Arundell. Jphn de Arundell, in the year 1301, certified his right to a market or fair on his manor called Modeshole, which appears to have been allowed in the same manner as it had been previously granted to his predecessor, Walter de Raleigh. The market has been long discontinued, but an annual fair is held on the 15th of October for cattle and sheep.

POST OFFICE, Michell. - Charles Tamblyn, sub-postmaster.

Letters arrive from Grampound Road at 8.10 a.m.; dispatched at 4.15 p.m. Newlyn East is the nearest money order office & telegraph office at Grampoubnd Road

WALL LETTER BOX.- Summer Court, cleared at 12.15 p.m. week days only

National School (mixed), established in 1828, for (not legible) children; average attendance, 97; & supported by voluntary subscriptions & a Government grant; George B(illegible) master

                 St. Enoder.

Langdon William, Blue Anchor Reskilly James, farmer, Bodanna
Williams Michael Henry, Arrallas Reskilly Richard, cowkeeper, Penhale

Retew China Clay Works (William Bullock, res.agent)
           COMMERCIAL. Richards John, farmer, Troan
Bassett John, farmer, Goonrounson Richards Samuel, granite quarry, Chytane Granite quarry
Bassett John, farmer, Trefullock Rose James, farmer, Low Penscawn
Bettison Henry, farmer, Penrose Sophia
Skinner John, farmer, Resparva Gate
Bice Charles, farmer, Glebe Snell Edwin, farmer, Nanpean
Bice Luke, farmer, Burthy Spear Thomas, miller & farmer, Arrallas mill
Bullock Thomas, farmer, Penhale Staple Thos., wheelwright, Blue Anchor
Caple Thomas, wheelwright, Blue Anchor Stephens Richard, farmer, Halvenna
Cardew Thomas, farmer, Retew Stribley John, farmer, Resparva
Chapman John, farmer, Hendra Trebilcock Joseph, farmr. Perrose Udda
Chapman Robert Hy. Farmr. Boswallow Truscott Lewis Thomas, farmr. Fraddon

Chytane China Clay & Brick Works Co. 

     Limited, manufacturers of fire bricks & tiles, blue staffordshire, vitreous, & buff paving (George Middleton Henley, manager)
Varcoe Richard, farmer & registrar of births & deaths for the sub-district of Newlyn, assistant overseer, assessor & collector of taxes, Treveza
Coade Richard, farmer, Benallack
Warden Rd., farmer & carrier, Fraddon
Cole Thomas, farmer, Trefullack Wheal Benallack China Clay Works (Edward Hocking, res. agent)
Commons James, shopkpr. Blue Anchor Wheal Parsons China Clay Works & Granite Quarry (Albert Best, ------ agent)
Courtnay Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Wheal Remfry China Clay Works (Jo-- Evans, manager)

Davies Samuel, farm bailiff to R. G.Bennet esq.  Goonhoskyn

Williams James Hy., farmer, Halvenna
Dench John, blacksmith, Blue Anchor Williams Richard, miller & farmer, Nanpean Mills
Drew James, farmer, Carvinack
Williams Samuel, farmer, Polmenna
Eykyn Richard Henry, farmer, Ennis Woodley John, farmer, Wood tenement

Fal Valley China Clay Works Limited 

     (John Minnear, res. Agent)

Francis Frank, farmer, Trewolla                                      MICHELL.
Gill John Searle, farmer, Penhale
Glanville Thomas, farmer, Resparva Harris Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Great Halwyn China Clay Co. (Thomas Manhire res. agent)
Hawke William, mason

Grigg John, farm bailiff to M. H. 

Williams esq. Arrallas
Manhire Richard, farmer
Grigg William, farmer, Nankervis Manhire Richard, jun. butcher
Harding Richard, farmer, Trenithan

 Philp Daniel, blacksmith

Hawkey Henry, farmer, Pencorse Tamblyn Chas., draper & tea dealer, Post office
Heliar John, farmer, Trevossa Tamblyn David, wheelwright
Henley George Middleton, manager,

Chytane China Clay & Brick Works Co. Limited

Tamblyn Nathan, shoe maker

Hoare Richard, draper & shopkeeper,


Jane John, farmer, Little Resparva                              SUMMER COURT
Jane John, farmer, Halvenna
Bassett George, Garnet house
Jane John, mason, Fraddon
Liddicoat Thomas, farmer, Burthy Row                                  COMMERCIAL
Manhire Wm., shoe maker, Blue Anchor Benny Walter, shopkeeper & carrier
Martyn Joseph King, farmer, Retyn Bishop Simon, saddler
Pascoe John, farmer, Penscawen Huddy Mary Jane (Miss) & Thomas Elizabeth Ann (mrs), farmers, Summer Court

Penhale & Barton Tin Mines (James 

Evans, man.; John Bullock, res. Agent)
Flamank Richard H, butcher
Phillips John Henry, Blue Anchor Liddicoat Jane Harvey (Miss), shopkpr.

Manhire Robert, shoe maker

Martin John, London inn, & farmer

Nancarrow John, grocer & draper

Rundle Richard, blacksmith

Tamblyn Richard, carpenter

Williams Nicholas Jsph., shopkeeper

Williams William, butcher















Back to Main Page
Last Updated on 3rd December 2017
By Mark Jose

Valid HTML 4.0 Transitional