ST. ENODER is a parish, containing the hamlet of SUMMER COURT, and a portion of that of MITCHELL, or ST. MICHAEL as it was called formerly. The parish is in the Western division of the county, hundreds of Pyder and Powder, union and county court district of St, Columb, rural deanery of Pyder, archdeaconary of Cornwall, and diocese of Exeter, 10 miles north-east of Truro, and 5 south-west from St. Columb. The church of St. Enoder is an ancient building, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of a chancel, nave, aisles, chancel aisles, and a square tower, containing a peal of 5 bells: there is a Norman font. The church was thoroughly restored in 1870, the interior refitted, and three new windows added, at a cost of £850: a monument in the church has the following inscription :-

“Here lyeth the body of Dorothy, ye wife of Anthony Tanner, Gent., who departed this life in the feare of God, on the 2nd Feby., 1634

“God nere repents of what he hath given to man,

And yet he gives, and yet he takes again;

What he hath given as here in her you trye,

Who was the gift of God a Dorothye.”

There is also a monument, erected by George Penwarne, to the memory of Anthony Tanner, who died in the year 1742, bearing the following epitaph :-

“This modest stone – what few vain marbles can -

May truly say – Here lies an honest man.”

The tower, with a portion of the church, fell in the time of Charles II., but was soon rebuilt. The register dates from the year 1570. The living is a rectory, yearly value £320, tithe rent-charge, in the gift of the Bishop of Exeter, with good residence, and about 20 acres of glebe land, and is endowed with the great tithes of three fields only: the impropriate tithes amount to £463 yearly: the Rev. Samuel Masterson Walker, M.A., of Caius College, Cambridge, is the rector. Here is a National school for boys and girls, established in 1828: it is maintained by voluntary subscriptions, and the annual Government grant. George F. Remfry, esq., of Truro, is lord of the manor of Penhale and has estates in St. Enoder. The principal land-owners in the parish are Viscount Falmouth, Christopher Henry Thomas Hawkins, and Richard Gully Bennet, esqrs. There is a chapel for Wesleyans at Summer Court, and another at Mitchell. There are china clay works and a tin mine in this parish. Carvinick House, situated in this parish, was built by Anthony Tanner, esq., in 1699, and is now occupied as a farm house. The area is 7,037 acres, partly arable, pasture, and meadow, and the remaining portion an open waste; gross estimated rental, £8,064; rateable value, £7,325; and the population in 1871 was 1,123.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Houghton


Summer Court hamlet is situated about three quarters of a mile from the church at St. Enoder, and is intersected by the turnpike road from Truro to St. Columb. Summer Court has three annual fairs, which are held on Holy Thursday, the 28th of July, and 25th of September; two of which are chartered, and noted for large shows of cattle.

Mitchell, or ST. MICHAEL, is an ancient borough, partly in this parish and partly in the parish of Newlyn, situated on the turnpike road from Truro to St. Columb, 2½ miles south-west from the parish church, 2 south-east from Newlyn, and 7 north from Truro. It is said to have been a town of considerable importance in the time of the Saxons, but it has now dwindled down to a small village: it possessed the privilege of returning two members to Parliament from the reign of Edward VI to that of William IV., when it was disfranchised. This borough has been represented by Carew, the Cornish historian, Sir Walter Raleigh, and Col. Clive. The manor of Mitchell was, in the time of Edward I., the property of Walter de Raleigh, whose son Peter sold it to Ralph de Arundell. John de Arundell, in the year 1301, certified his right to a market or fair on his manor called Modeshole, which appears to have been allowed in the same manner as it had been previously granted to his predecessor, Walter de Raleigh. The market has been long discontinued, but an annual fair is held on the 15th of October for cattle and sheep.


POST OFFICE, Mitchell. - Mrs. Middleton, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Grampound Road at 10 a.m.; dispatched thereto per messenger at 3 p.m. Grampound Road is the nearest money order office

National School (for boys & girls), Saml. Richards, master

CARRIER. - Benney, from Summer Court to Truro, wednesday & saturday at 9.30 a.m. returning same days

St. Enoder.

Walker Rev. Samuel Masterson. M.A.



Bassett George, farmer, Goonrounson Tamblyn Francis, Nelson's Arms, Church town
Bassett John, farmer, Trefullock

 Tamblyn Silas, farmer, Low. Penscawn

Bettison Henry, farmer, Trevorrick Trebilcock Wm. Farmer, Penrose Udda
Bice Charles, farmer, Church town Truscott John, farmer, Fraddon
Bice Luke, farmer, Burthy Varcoe Wm. & John, frmrs. Carvinack
Chipman John, farmer, Hendra Vercoe Richard, farmer, Treveza
Clemow Joseph, farmer, Tresawna

 Williams James, farmer, Polmenna

Coade Richard, farmer, Benallack Williams J.P. farmer, Arrallas
Cole Thomas, farmer, Trefullock Williams Richard, farmer, Goonaburn
Collett William, farmer, Penhale Williams Thomas, farmer, Town
Courtis John, miller, Melan Coose Williams Thomas, miller, Nanpean mills
Ferrell George, miller, Retew mills
Francis Francis, farmer, Trewolla                                  Mitchell
Grigg Richard, farmer, Nankervis Dawe James, Feathers inn
Harding Richard, farmer, Trenithan Manhire John, shoe maker
Harris John, farmer, Ennis Manhire Richard, farmer
Hawkey Henry, farmer, Pencorse

 Richards James, blacksmith

Hellier John, farmer, Trevossa Tamblyn Charles, shopkeeper
Liddocot Thomas, farmer, Burthy row Tamblyn David, wheelwright
Manhire Wm., shoemaker, Blue anchor
Martin Joseph King, farmer, Retyn                          Summer Court
Osborne Richard, farmer, Troan Retallack Francis, J.P. Chytane
Osborne William, miller, Arrallas mill                                   COMMERCIAL
Peters Hugh, farmer, Resparva Benney Walter, shopkeeper & carrier
Reskilly James, farmer, Penscawn Bishop Simon, saddler
Reskilly Richard, farmer, Blue anchor Liddicot Jame (Miss), shopkeeper
Richards Mark, farmer, Trewinion Manhire Robert, shoe maker
Rose Anthony, farmer, Boswallow Martin John, London inn
Rose James, farmer, Rosewyn

 Tamblyn Richard, carpenter

Roskilly James, farmer, Bodanna

 Tamblyn William, carpenter     

Rowe Sampson, farmer, Penhale Williams William, butcher
Salmon Samuel, farmer, Penrose

St. Enoder China Clay Co. manufacturers

of tiles, fire & architectural bricks, fire clay

&c. (Thomas Nichols, sec. & solr.

St. Columb). See advert

Snell Nathaniel, farmer, Nanpean
Staple John, farmer, Nankervis
Staple Thos. Wheelwright, Blue Anchor





Back to Main Page
Last Updated on 3rd December 2017
By Mark Jose

Valid HTML 4.0 Transitional