ST ENODER, with the hamlet of SUMMER COURT, and a portion of that of MITCHELL or MODESHOLE, as it was formerly called, is a parish consisting of 6,140 statute acres, partly arable, pasture, and meadow, and the remaining portion an open waste. The soil in general is thin and stony, although on the northern side of the parish there are several good farms. The population, in 1851, was 1,153. The parish, formerly divided between the Hundreds of Pydar and Powder, is now entirely in Pydar, in the Union of St. Columb, deanery of Pydar, archdeaconry of Cornwall, diocese of Exeter, and western division of the county. It is bounded on the south by the parish of St. Erme, on the south-east by Ladock, and distant 10 miles north-eastfrom Truro, and 5 west from St. Columb. The church, dedicated to St. Enoder, is an ancient stone building, consisting of a nave, north and south aisles, chancel, and a square tower, having a minaret at each angle, and contains a peal of 5 bells. In the interior is a Norman font, register chest, and several monuments, one of which has the following inscription :-

“Here lyeth the body of Dorothy, ye wife of Anthony Tanner, Gent., daughter of Zachary Arundell, of this parish, Gent., who departed this life in the feare of God. On the 2nd Feby., 1634.

“God nere repents of what he hath given to man,

And yet he gives, and yet he takes again;

What he had given as here in her you trye,

Who was the gift of God a Dorothye.”

There is also a monument, erected by George Panwarne, to the memory of Anthony Tanner who died in the year 1742, bearing the following epitaph :-

“This modest stone – what few vain marbles can -

May truly say – Here lies an honest man.”

The church was nearly demolished in the time of Charles I by the falling of the tower, but was soon after rebuilt. The principal landowners in the parish are Lord Viscount Falmouth, Christopher Henry Thomas Hawkins, and Richard Gully Bennett, Esqrs.; the Rev. Samuel Masterson Walker, M.A., is the incumbent. The living is a vicarage, annual value £278, in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, with good residence and about 20 acres of glebe land, and endowed with the great tithes of three fields. Here is a National school for boys and girls.

The hamlet of SUMMER COURT is situated about 1½ miles from the church of St. Enoder, and is intersected by the turnpike road leading from Truro to St. Columb. It has three annual fairs, which are held on the 1st of May, 28th of July, and the 25th of September; two of which are chartered and noted for large shows of cattle. Partly in this parish and partly in the parish of Newlyn is situated the old borough of Mitchell, Michell, or St. Michael. It is said to have been a town of considerable importance in the time of the Saxons, but it has now dwindled down to a small village; it possessed the privilege of returning two members to parliament from the reign of Edward VI to William IV, when it was disfranchised. This borough was represented by Carew, the Cornish historian. The manor of Mitchell was, in the time of Edward I, the property of Walter de Raleigh, whose son Peter sold it to Ralph de Arundell. John de Arundell, in the year 1301, certified his right to a market or fair on his manor of Modeshall, which appears to have been allowed in the same manner as it had been previously granted to his predecessor, Walter de Raleigh. The market has been log discontinued, but it enjoys an annual fair, which is held on the 15th of October for cattle.

In the last century Mitchell consisted of about thirty houses, three of which were inns, and it then exhibited signs of activity. According to the Magna Charta the town appears to have given name to the family of Michell, formerly extensive landed proprietors in Cornwall and Devon. Here is a chapel for Wesleyans at Summer Court, and another at Mitchell. Carvinack House, situated in this parish, was built by Anthony Tanner, Esq., in 1699, and is now occupied as a farm house. Pencorse Consols lead mine is situated in this parish. Captain John Champion, Manager; Captain Richard Tippett, resident agent; George Henwood, Esq., of Leeds, purser. The nearest place for shipping ores and machinery is at New Quay, 3½ miles distant from the mine.

St. Enoder.

Walker Rev. Samuel Masterson, M.A. Vicarage


Andrew Thomas, farmer, Bethyrow

Manhire William, shoemaker, Blue anchor

Andrew Walter, farmer, Nanpean

Martin Mark, farmer, Nantillo

Bassett George, farmer, Goonrounsen

Nicholls Jeremiah, miller, Nanpear mills

Bassett John, farmer, Polmenna

Parkes Charles, farmer, Arrallas

Bassett John, farmer, Trefullock

Richards Mark, farmer, Trewinnion

Bassett William, farmer, Trefullock

Rickard William, farmer, Blue anchor

Bettison Henry, farmer, Trevorrick

Rose Anthony, farmer, Boswallow

Bice Charles, farmer, Church town

Roskilly James, farmer, Bodanna

Bice Luke, farmer, Burthy

Rowe John, miller, Arrallas mill

Clemow Joseph, farmer, Tresawna

Rowe Samson, farmer, Penhale

Clemow Robert, farmer, Trevossa

Salmon Samuel, farmer, Penrose

Courtenay Thomas, shoemaker, Penhale

Scoble Betsy (Mrs), farmer, Hendra

Courtis John, miller, Melan Coose

Staple John, farmer, Bennallack

Cragoe Thomas, farmer, Nancarris

Staple Thomas, wheelwright, Blue Anchor

Davies Charles, farmer, Penhale

Stephens John, farmer, Penrose Udda

Elvins James, miller, Retew mills

Stevens Joseph, beer retailer, Brighton

Francis Elizabeth (Mrs), farmer, Trewolla

Symons John, farmer, Rosewin

Francis Nicholas, farmer, Penhale

Tamblyn Silas, farmer, Low. Penscawn

Gilbert Richard, “Nelson Arms”, Church town

Tippett Richard, mine agent, the Cottage

Harding John, farmer, Trenithan

Truscott George, farmer, Pencorse

Harding Richard, farmer, Trenithan

Vercoe Elizabeth (Mrs), farmer, Carvinack

Harvey Philip, farmer, Fraddon

Williams Mary (Mrs), farmer, Troan

Henwood Richard, farmer, Trenitha n

Williams Richard, farmer, Nanpean

Johns John, farmer, Retyn

Williams Thomas, farmer, Town

Jolly Catherine (Mrs), farmer, Penscawn

Yelland James, farmer, Resparva

Jones Benjamin, farmer, Goonabarn

Langdon William, farmer, Ennis

Liddicot William, farmer, Resparva

                                                                                                        Summer Court


Barberry John, shoemaker

Benny John, shopkeeper & carrier

Bishop Simon, saddler

Chapman John, London Inn, & blacksmith

Dinch John, blacksmith

Huddy William, butcher

Manhire Robert, shoemaker

Matthews Joanna (Mrs), shopkeeper

Nancarrow John, shopkeeper

Roskilly Richard, blacksmith

Rowe William, tailor

Tamblyn Jonathan, carpenter

Tamblyn William, carpenter

Treverbick William, beer retailer



Harris George, mine agent

Skewes William, mine agent

Long Ann (Mrs), shopkeeper

Tamblyn James, farmer

Manhire John, shoemaker

Tamblyn William, wheelwright

Martin William, blacksmith

Vincent John, farmer

Nancarrow John, mine agent

Vincent Robert, farmer

Prophet John, shopkeeper

POST OFFICE, Mitchell – Francis Bassett, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Grampound 4 p.m.; dispatched thereto, per messenger, at 8 a.m. Grampound is the nearest money order office

INSURANCE AGENT – Atlas, E. Brokenshire

Wesleyan Chapels, at Summer Court & Mitchell, no stated ministers

National School (for boys & girls), John Creek, master; Miss Mary Ann Coombe, mistress

CARRIERS (passing through Mitchell) :-

Benny, from Summer Court to Truro, wednesday & saturday, ½ past 9 morn. Returning same days

Tinney, from New Quay to Truro, wednesday & saturday. 9 morn. Returning same days


Back to Main Page
Last Updated on 3rd December 2017
By Mark Jose

Valid HTML 4.0 Transitional